Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Target, Cadbury, and a few other Aussie things!

So, if you know me pretty well, you would know two things: one is that I shop at Target ALL the time and the other is that I'm a pretty picky eater! I knew that coming to Australia would affect both of these things, and let's just say that they have!

When I found out I was coming to Australia, one of the first things I did was to see if they had Targets. No lie. I really love to shop at Target that much. Just ask my dad...he's forbid me to go there at times because I spend too much money there, but that's another post for another day. So, when I found out that Australia did have a Target, I was ELATED and I couldn't wait to see what it was like. Yesterday, Maggie and I went shopping with our host family at this mall about twenty minutes away from Pakenham. We went to Target, and it is quite different than the Target I'm used to. It's a department store! While they have super cute clothes, it's just not the same. But, I guess it can suffice my Target desire for the next two months :)

Eating...I have tried more "different" foods in the past ten days than I ever thought I would. Lamb, pumpkin, sausage rolls, pumpkin soup, etc. For the first week here, I was eating like a bird (and I still am at times) and thinking "how am I going to get through the summer with this food?". I've definitely gotten better, but I've been craving some Mexican since before I left. I finally got my chance to eat some yesterday! It wasn't near as good as Moe's or Barberito's, but it definitely hit the spot for my craving!

I was introduced to Cadbury chocolate the other day. OH. MY. GOODNESS. So beyond stinking good! I don't think I can adequately describe how amazing this chocolate is, but take my word for it that it is the best thing in the entire world. Maggie and I went into a specialty sweets store yesterday, and we couldn't even find Cadbury. Apparently Cadbury is like our Hershey's, so I can't even imagine how great the expensive chocolate is!

Aussies are very "green" and much more "environmentally conscious" than Americans. One of the ways that they are is by not having clothes dryers. Talk about a little different experience...laying your clothes out on a rack in the lounge room to dry! Oh, and in case you wanted to know, a comforter is known as a duna over here.

While the majority of this post is about trivial things, I am learning a LOT about myself and how the Lord created me for certain things such as this time in Australia. The Lord is constantly stretching me in different ways each day and revealing more and more about Himself. I'm starting to get much more adjusted in more ways than one---I pressed snooze about five times this morning (sound about right, Mom?). I so appreciate your prayers, and while I'm doing well now, I know there will be harder times to come, so I ask you to keep praying!

I read the book Love Does by Bob Goff on the way over here. Such an amazing book. I highly recommend it, and all of the proceeds go to his non-profit organization that frees children who are being trafficked in India and Uganda. It's seriously one of the best books I've read in a looooong time. I'll leave you with this quote...
God asks what it is He's made us to love, what it is that captures our attention, what feeds that deep indescribable need of our souls to experience the richness of the world He made. And then, leaning over us, He whispers, "Let's go do that together." 

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are doing well and found your Target! But more than that even in the "trivial" things I can see God stretching you..... I love the quote and I am going to get the book.
    Colossians 1:9
    we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I should let you in on this, but we have Cadbury chocolate here. Don't get crazy...

    So glad you are getting comfortable. Can't wait to hear all your stories.

    God loves you, Ashton. So do I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you eaten at Outback yet? I haven't. As a matter of fact, I didn't eat it the night that you did, here in Augusta.......Oh well, I'm trying not to be bitter about it. (ha, ha)
    Seriously, I think about & pray for you many times throughout our daytime here. I keep thinking, "What time is it for Ashton?" Give us a look at what your day includes as you work for Him there. Praying All God's Best for you as you learn from Him in Aussie Land! Mrs. Connie

    ReplyDelete