Monday, November 28, 2011

Will I Still Be Okay?

Last night, as I was doing my quiet time, the Lord began asking me a few questions. They were some really hard questions, and I still don't know my answer to them. 

My devotion was on living with an eternal purpose in mind, which is something I've been hearing a lot in the past few days. Matthew Henry writes, "It ought to be the business of every day to prepare for our last day." Do we live in a way to make every moment count? Chris Tiegreen, the guy who wrote my devotional, writes, "Understanding life's uncertainty can lead to a remarkable shift in values." Are my priorities lined up in such a way that I'm showing how uncertain every day is to the people in my day-to-day life? 

Tiegreen ends yesterday's devotion with this challenge: "Begin living in the light of eternity, and understand the life God has given us." Am I really living in the light of eternity? Am I living with an eternal perspective? 1 John 2:28 says, "And now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink from Him in shame at His coming." 

Did you catch that last part? "we may have confidence and not shrink from Him in shame at His coming" Last week, I went to church with Caroline in Auburn (actually in Opelika, but that's not the point). The pastor preached on this verse. I want to live every day so that I am confident that if Jesus came back that day, I wouldn't be ashamed at how I was living. I would be so excited, and I could say, "Here I am, Lord. Take me." 

Last night, as I was doing my devotion, I was thinking and praying about all these thoughts. That's when the Lord starting asking me questions. Like one that I tweeted last night. At the end of the day, are we willing to be okay with the fact that God accomplishes the desires of our hearts differently than we imagined?

Am I? Am I okay with that? Will I be content? There are some desires in my heart that are huge. Like getting married. Being a mom. Meeting my BM. But what if the Lord accomplishes those desires in ways that are different than I imagined? I'm currently reading this book about a girl who had some of those same desires, and the Lord is using her in different ways than she imagined. Is that what the Lord is going to do?

At the end of the day, will I give all the glory to Him if He does it differently than I want Him to? I sure hope so.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Great words, encouraging. I'm glad you posted this on here. Thank you for being such a great friend. You mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete