Thursday, January 12, 2012

Do Something NOW!

Do Something Now is the part of Passion that brings what we've learned during the conference to action. With Do Something Now, college students are able to give to different causes and organizations to help further the Gospel. This year at Passion, the "theme" was to raise awareness of human trafficking. We were able to give to organizations like A21 CampaignIJMWellspring Living, and many other cool causes/organizations.

But Do Something Now is more than just giving. It's about doing. The last day of Passion, Louie Giglio gave a very inspiring and convicting message. He talked about how we have been set up in this system of achieving certain goals before we can really start to live our lives. So many of us have this mindset that we've got to get through college, get in the real world, get a job, etc, before we can start to live our lives for the Lord.

Just a day before, I'd been talking with my college pastor about my plans after college. I know I've mentioned it before that I want to teach in a foreign country after I graduate. I told my college pastor about those plans. He said, "Ashton, that's great. But, you never know what God's going to do in your life in the next two and a half years." Solid advice, but I didn't think much of what he said. Why should I?

Fast forward a day or so to Louie's message about Doing Something Now on the last day. I was sitting there in the Georgia Dome, so beyond ready to go home, and I was getting so convicted. I kept thinking to myself, "I need to change how I act at school. I have such a huge mission field, and I don't do anything about it. I don't proclaim the name of Jesus enough." I'd been convicted about that for the past few weeks; that wasn't a "new" conviction by any means. However, I got convicted about how I was planning to spend my summer.

My plans for this summer were to take classes all summer (and I may still do that). If I do take classes this summer, then I can graduate on time. But, whoever said that I HAD to graduate on time? What's one more semester if I can use my summer for something significant for the Lord? So, I came home from Passion, and I began searching some things on the IMB. There are a ton of mission projects, and after lots of searching I came across one in Australia that I just couldn't stop looking at the description. I had a huge peace about the whole thing.

So, I applied. I don't know what's going to happen, but I knew that I had to step out in faith and apply. I don't know if I'll get it, but it's all in the Lord's hands now. Join me in prayer that the Lord will get the most glory out of my summer--whether it's in Australia or Augusta (although I really hope it's Australia!).

Pursue your passion and your calling. Do what you're wired to do. All in the name of Jesus. - Louie Giglio

3 comments:

  1. Lots of wisdom in there. Praying. Knowing that His will will indeed be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jamie! I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your blog via Lowercase Letters. I love your blog name! Powerful.

    Also, so cool that you went to Passion! I went in 2010 & 2011 and streamed live this year. Such a blessing. May God work your summer plans for His utmost fame. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete