Thursday, October 6, 2011

the one where i got a new job.

When I was like 12, I started volunteering at the Family Life Center. Through every season and every sport that the FLC would put on, I was there to help make it possible. I was apart of the FLC team even though I wasn't on paid staff. I was invited to Christmas parties, I got the staff shirts, and I even went on a mission trip to San Diego that the FLC staff headed up one year. The FLC runs and functions because of the awesome volunteers that we have, and I am glad to say that I was one of those volunteers for about four years. I loved my time volunteering, and I couldn't wait to become official staff.

On January 2, 2008, just one day after my sixteenth birthday, that "dream" of becoming apart of the Family Life Center staff became a reality. And for almost four years, being apart of the FLC staff was just who I was. I have friends from high school who would joke about how often I worked by saying, "Ashton is the Family Life Center." After tomorrow, I can (happily) say, that I am no longer the Family Life Center. I am the High School Ministry Intern/Assistant!

Three Thursdays ago, I was sitting at the FLC, minding my own business, either facebook stalking or pinning away on Pinterest. Grant walks up, and he didn't seem to be in a hurry. I remembered that I had a class canceled the next week and that I had a few extra hours, so I said to him, "Oh, hey, I can help out in the office next Monday and Tuesday if you need me to." He smiles and says, "Great. Do you want to take a test one day next week for me?"

Uh, what in the WORLD is he talking about? A test? For something non school related? No. "No," I said. Then it hit me. This may have to do with the potential job situation that he and I had talked about a few times. "Uh, maybe," I corrected. "If you need me to."

"Make up your mind," he said with a laugh.

"Does this have to do with the job?" I asked.

He nodded. "I found out today that it has been approved for you to be the high school ministry intern."

I literally jumped out of my seat and ran around the counter to hug him. "Are you serious?!"

He smiled. "Yep."

So, I've kept it a secret, pretty much, for the past three weeks. I told a few people, like my parents and roommate and close friends, but Grant asked me to keep it on the DL until he got to tell the students. Tonight, he made that announcement. And I have to say it blessed my soul when I heard those high school students get excited when he told them about me. God is good.

I have to move to high school on Sunday mornings, so I don't get to keep my small group of middle school girls anymore. I'm sad about that, but I know that God has a big plan for them and their new leader. I'm so excited to see what God has in store for me in this new chapter of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment